Good morning Peeps. More facts of the day to follow. I sit here at the computer and see the buds and new leaves on my bushes in the garden and I am heartened. Warmer weather, dryer weather all means that the fluff bags can go on walks with me without needing a bath every time we get back home.
Facts of the day this week are:
- A comet's tail always points away from the sun
- The Swine Flu vaccine is 1976 caused more death and illness than the disease it was intended to prevent
- Caffeine increases the power of aspirin and other painkillers, that is why it is found in some medicines
- The military salute is a motion that evolved from medieval times, when knights in armour raised their visors to reveal their identity
- If you get into the bottom of a well or a tall chimney and look up you can see stars, even in the middle of the day
- When a person dies, hearing is the last sense to go. The first sense lost is sight.
- In ancient times strangers shook hands to show they were unarmed
- Strawberries are the only fruits where seeds grow on the outside
- Avocados have the highest calories of any fruit at 167 calories per hundred grams
- The moon moves about 2 inches away from the Earth every year
- The Earth gets 100 tons heavier every day due to falling space dust
- Due to Earth's gravity it is impossible for mountains to be higher than 15,000 meters
- Mickey Mouse is known as 'Topolino' in Italy
- Soldiers do not march in step when going across bridges becuase they could set up a vibration which could be sufficient to knock the bridge down
- Everything weighs 1% less at the equator
- For every extra kilogram carried on a space flight, 530kg of excess fuel is needed at lift-off
- The letter J does not appear anywhere on the periodic table of the elements
Honestly, I am not convinced about the soldiers marching over a bridge fact and I am confused by the equator fact but to be fair that doesn't take much!
Happy Monday everyone.