Wednesday 8 January 2014

Bring your kid to work day

I found this on the web the other day and it made me laugh. Okay, I admit it isn't that funny, but it did remind me of the time I took my daughter to work day.


Beautiful B was no more than 10 years old and as I work for the government she was issued with a visitors pass on arrival that made her feel rather important. As she is a shrimpet the visitors pass was almost as big as her.

She spent the morning wandering around the site with other children to be shown the wide range of work that we did at our site.  At the time I worked in procurement so I guess it was interesting to discover that people did work that was different to mummy's.  I'm not sure that the visit to the team that manage the pool cars was all that interesting especially as they didn't let them sit in the cars and pretend to drive them.

Anyhoo, she arrived with me at lunch time and my job was to show her what work I did.  Beautiful B was spoilt by my team being provided with sweets.  Mind you, I had forwarned them that she was not to be given Smarties or Opal Fruits (Starburst) as they send her loopy.  Visions of the last visit to work when she was 4 years old and given Opal Fruits by a work colleague resulting in her pretending to talk to her dad on the phone when she ended the conversation by telling him to f**k off preyed on my mind.  (Disclaimer: I did not swear in front of my child, that would be her dad's friends fault).

Back to the current child at work day.  She sat at my desk and I showed her what we did after she rooted around in my drawer for more sweets (she knows me too well).  She was fascinated that we did most of our work on the computer and amazed that we could go on them for more than an hour a day.  After all, children had to take turns at school or so she told me.  

That day Beautiful B was introduced to email. Fascinated that you could email people you knew she wanted a list of who my friends were at work and then proceeded to 'practice' sending an email to them to say 'hello'.

Suffice to say I didn't get any work done that day and what was her conclusion at the end of the day? Apparently it must be great to get paid to email your friends all day long........

I don't think she grasped the work concept that day, do you?








No comments:

Post a Comment