Tuesday 7 January 2014

What I learned this week - the Christmas 2013 edition

I know this looks a little late but to be fair it has been 3 weeks into the making and I wanted to make sure it was as comprehensive (by that I mean as full of waffle) as my usual posts.

So this year's Christmas lessons:
  • I should learn how to make a Sunday roast sometime this year in preparation for Hubby being ill again next Christmas.  It will at least allieviate some of the panic of potentially having to cook a Christmas dinner for 5 when my speciality is warming products up in the oven.
  • I should also learn how to make sure that all components of a roast dinner are ready at the same time.
  • Add to that how to cook carrots properly.  I still haven't mastered this at 41!
  • As Beautiful B is approaching 20 years old and watching her weight I ended up with 2 large tins of sweets because they weren't eaten over the Christmas period.  It does not matter that one of those tins was bought for me by a work colleague because they will both be left. 
  •  If I forget to take my migraine pill just before I get into bed after a severely heavy drinking session it will take 2 of the miracle workers to get rid of the hangover the next day 
  •  It is hard not to get distracted at work the day after a heavy drinking session and I am glad I only do it once or twice a year  
  •  Working from home is great until I had to remove all signs of office equipment from the dining room for the Christmas table, especially when it is time to put it all back again - gives a whole new meaning to not looking forward to going back to work.
  • It is pointless buying a novelty Christmas cake when there are only two of us that eat cake in the house, especially when everyone is filled to bursting from Hubby's gorgeous Christmas dinner.
  • I will want to give Hubby more kisses than normal when he tells me he has recorded my favourite episode of The IT Crowd as it was shown as a Christmas special.
  • My 'To Do' list just grows and grows when I am in holiday mode.
  • It is not a good idea for me to go into holiday mode, from work, before I put a claim for expenses in.
  • All of my fluff bags love Satsumas.
  • Lily fluff will try to find anyway into the dining room to try and get to the bowl of sweets on the dining table when she thinks I am not looking.
  • If I ever decide, again, that are insufficient lights on the tree I won't stand in the shop texting Beautiful B to if the lights are blue.  When she says she doesn't know I won't assume they are blue as I suspect and take a new set home and dress the top of the tree in the first set and the bottom of the tree in the new set because I will have blue and white lights on the top half and blue on the bottom half.  Brilliant!
  •  Beautiful B will decide that our Christmas tree looks cold because it's theme is blue and silver (the tree is green but covered with snow and so I think blue works very well).  Apparently a Christmas tree should have red lights and red tinsel.
  • I may well be not only buying new (red) lights next year but different decorations too as Beautiful B has cast a doubt in my mind, or maybe a need for a change
  • On the 7th of January I will still have over a tin of sweets left, a tin of biscuits, a tin of crackers for cheese, breadsticks (with nothing to dip them into....mmmm a job to do when I pick Hubby up from work)...and the list goes on.

So what did you guys learn over the Christmas period?


Usual rules apply - see below. I would love to hear from you if you also leave comments on my blog.To join in Julie's What I Learned This Week carnival, simply follow these steps:


1. Any time this week, publish your What I Learned This Week post on your blog and comment on my blog hyper linking to your blog.

2. Then go and visit Julie’s blog at From Inmates to Playdates, find her latest “What I learned this week” and link up with the Mr. Linky form at the bottom of the post. Please put the link to your POST, not the front page of your blog.

3. Then visit the other participants and see what they learned this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment